How do I request a new traffic signal?

Please call Public Works Operations at 972-462-5150. If the intersection in question is eligible for a traffic signal, it will be added to a list of locations that we monitor on an annual basis. We will observe and collect the traffic volumes at all these potential traffic signal locations and see if they meet the nationally standardized criteria for justifying the installation of a traffic signal.

All of the locations that meet the necessary threshold will be prioritized based on traffic volumes, conflicting movements, and other factors. The City will then assign the funding available that year to the top-ranked locations.


It is not possible to install a traffic signal at every intersection for numerous reasons, so a particular intersection may not be eligible for a traffic signal. If it is eligible, it may take years before it reaches the top of the priority list for installation.

Alternate Routes

At any intersection, we recommend that citizens take an alternative route instead of making a maneuver that makes them uncomfortable. Whether an uncontrolled intersection is a candidate for a traffic signal or not, it may be necessary for motorists to take an alternative route during busy times of the day instead of making a left-turn or going straight across an intersection. For example, motorists can turn right and then make a U-turn at another location.

Show All Answers

1. Who do I contact to report a problem with a traffic signal?
2. Who maintains all of the major traffic signals on the outskirts of Coppell?
3. Does the City of Coppell record any of the video from its traffic cameras?
4. How are the yellow and all-red clearance times calculated for a traffic signal?
5. How do you decide where and when to install traffic signals?
6. How do I request a new traffic signal?
7. Who do I contact to report a malfunctioning school zone warning flasher?
8. Can speed bumps/humps be installed on my residential street?
9. Can parking be prohibited on my residential street?
10. What can be done about speeding on my residential street?
11. Can an intersection be changed to allow 2 lanes to turn right?
12. Who maintains all of the signs in the City of Coppell?
13. Can a “Children at Play” sign be installed in our neighborhood?
14. Can a Stop sign be installed on my residential street?
15. Who maintains the pavement markings in the City?
16. What does "Stop Here on Red" mean?