The Investigations Division is comprised of eight sworn personnel and one civilian. Criminal Investigations personnel also handle the registration of convicted sex offenders, and provide coordination for the local Crime Stoppers program.
If you wish to remain anonymous and submit a crime tip to Coppell Police Department you may do so through our Tips Form.
The Criminal Investigations Division has the responsibility of investigating all criminal acts committed within the City Of Coppell. Each Detective receives training and has experience which makes them capable of investigating any type of crime. Detectives investigate and follow up on leads, develop suspects, execute search and arrest warrants, and file appropriate charges with District Attorney for prosecution.
Although each detective is trained in many disciplines, the Detective Unit is divided into specialized sections where detectives have been provided additional training specific to certain types of criminal activity including crimes against persons, domestic violence, financial crimes, and property crimes.
Typical duties for Police Detectives include:
- Contacting and interviewing Complainants on assigned cases
- Determining the identity of criminal suspects
- Preparing probable cause affidavits for arrest and search warrants
- Executing arrest and search warrants for Coppell offenders when possible
- Preparing case reports for the District Attorney's office
- Testifying before Grand Jury's and Criminal Courts of Law
- Locating and returning Complainant property
- Assisting other law enforcement agencies when required
- Assisting crime victims with understanding the judicial process
In addition to Unit Detectives, a crime analyst provides investigative support through statistical analysis and criminal intelligence gathering and dissemination.