Car Seat Inspections
We all want our children to travel safely in cars, and installing a car seat for younger children can be a challenge. Life Safety Park staff are certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians (CPSTs) through Safe Kids Worldwide, a partnership with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). As CPS technicians, we can offer best practices to help you make sure your car seats are installed correctly and teach you how to use and install a car seat on your own.
Before Scheduling a Checkup
Some things to consider before scheduling a car seat checkup:
- Be prepared to learn, not just watch the CPS technician install the car seat. They're trained to teach you.
- If you are expecting, try to schedule an appointment one to two months prior to your baby's due date just in case you deliver early. Many CPS technicians and their agencies require appointments several weeks in advance.
- If your child is already born, know your child's weight and height, and if possible bring your child with you so that proper harnessing techniques can be practiced. If possible, also bring another adult to help watch the child while you are learning.
- Please attempt to install the seat in your vehicle before your car seat checkup appointment. Be sure to use the instructions that came with the child car seat and the instructions in your vehicle owner's manual regarding car seats.
- Bring the car seat instructions and the vehicle owner's manual with you to your appointment, if possible.
- Appointments typically take 30-45 minutes per seat/child, depending on the car seat and the vehicle; however, the technician should take all the time necessary to ensure that you feel competent and confident in re-securing the car seat into the vehicle and re-buckling your child into the car seat on you own.
Other helpful links and things to consider:
- You can also have your car seat inspected by attending a safety event sponsored by a Safe Kids Coalition in your area. Safe Kids coalitions lead their communities in reducing child injury and host more than 8,000 free car seat inspection events across the country.
- Don't live in or near Coppell? No problem. To find a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in your area, search the technician database.
- Interested in finding out more? Check out this car seat check appointment checklist (PDF) to learn about what you, as a caregiver, can expect from a CPST during a checkup.
Schedule an Appointment
If you would like for Life Safety Park staff to inspect and provide education in car seat installation, please fill out this online request form to schedule an appointment. Appointments are available during weekdays and are encouraged to ensure we can properly assist you, but should you have any questions or immediate concerns, please give us a call at 972-462-5371 or 972-462-5373.
Thank you for making time to learn an important skill that will help keep your children safe and give your family valuable peace of mind.