'Tis the season for lights, gatherings and holiday magic! The City of Coppell has several events for the whole family to enjoy this holiday season. Check back often for updates.
Holiday Scavenger Hunt
Monday, December 5 - Friday, January 6, 2023
Holiday fun is hidden all over the city!
Back by popular demand, the annual Holiday Scavenger Hunt runs through Friday, January 6, 2023. To participate in the hunt, simply solve the clues, find each of the five holiday ambassadors hidden around town, pose for a photo with each, and then upload the photos to social media with the hashtag #coppellholidays! Be sure to tag the City of Coppell on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. There are multiple holiday-themed ambassadors hidden around Coppell, but only a special few will earn Coppell's holiday enthusiasts a prize, so consider the clues carefully!
Beginning Monday, December 5, one clue will be posted daily to the City of Coppell's Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages. After a clue is posted, take a look around town and find the holiday ambassador to snap a selfie. At the end of the week, all five clues will be released and posted below.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- Solve the clues once posted
- Snap a photo at each of the five holiday ambassadors specified in the clues
- Upload your photos to social media with the hashtag #coppellholidays and tag the City of Coppell
- Stop by Town Center, 255 Parkway Boulevard, to claim your prize (while supplies last)!
Participants have through January 6, 2023, to pose with the special holiday ambassadors.
Holiday Scavenger Hunt Clues:
This place is more than just books
It’s classes, games,
And all the great movies you know
And out front you’ll see
A new holiday addition:
Some light up men made of snow
The jolly one has parked
His red chariot full of splendor
Wouldn’t it be a surprise to see him
As a new Coppell Farmers Market vendor?
When your tinsel is in a tangle,
The officers in blue will lend a helping hand
You’ll find justice alit with holiday splendor
At this facility that is always manned
In front of DFW’s #1 theatre venue
St. Nick has stopped to take a rest
You’ll find him with tickets in his hand
To catch a holiday show put on by the best
Snowy white and quite enormous
This old friend has claimed his usual seat
It’s where you collect your Scavenger Hunt prize
And where City Council gathers to meet
What is Fa La La La Lights?
Coppell residents and businesses are invited to celebrate with us by decorating homes, yards, or storefronts for our annual holiday lights competition! Show your holiday spirit by adorning your space with lights and other festive décor. Unleash your creativity and bring a smile to your friends and neighbors by showing us your holiday best!
Beginning Friday, December 2, a virtual map with the locations of all registered participants will go live so you can plan a walk or drive around the neighborhood and city to see and share in the celebration. Citizens are encouraged to visit each location and vote on their favorite.
Explore, Celebrate, Share
- Check the Fa La La La Lights Map to find all the locations to explore.
- Go for a walk around your neighborhood, drive through other neighborhoods and visit businesses on the map. Take pictures of the displays you find and tag us on social to help share the joy! #FaLaLaLaLights
- The more people who take part, the more celebration there is to share, so get your friends and neighbors involved!
Vote and Check out Results
- Pictures of the decorated spaces will be posted on the Coppell Parks & Recreation Facebook page. Followers will be asked to vote via likes for their favorite for our Citizen’s Choice award.
- Check our Instagram and Facebook and follow the hashtags to see all the exciting pictures posted by your friends and family.
- Come back to our pages the afternoon of Monday, December 19 and see the results. Categories awarded will include: Clark Griswold Award (brightest/most lights), Buddy the Elf Holiday Cheer Award, Cindy Lou Who Citizen’s Choice Award.
Rules & Regulations:
- Displays must be fully decorated by 5pm on Friday, December 2 and able to stay up until 8am on Sunday, January 1, and must be appropriate for a family audience.
- Displays should not focus on controversial themes or issues. Use of any social or political material is not permitted.
- Displays are not a place for commercial marketing. Businesses are welcome and encouraged to participate with a focus on the mission of bringing community together.
- The City of Coppell reserves the right to exclude any displays that do not meet our guidelines or that feature content not aligned with our mission.
- Registrations are limited to one entry per household, per location.
- Registration for Fa La La La Lights, photos sent and/or tagging #FaLaLaLaLights with related photos or videos on social media, grants the Coppell Parks Department and City of Coppell permission to use your images and footage on any platform.
December 3 - 31 | 6 - 10 pm nightly | Andrew Brown Park East
Andrew Brown Park East will be lit up all December long! Be sure to stop by for some festive holiday light viewing every night between 6 - 10 pm through December 31.
Saturday, December 3 | 9 am - Noon
Take a stroll down memory lane, shop local, and spread holiday cheer at Vintage Christmas in Old Town! Stop by participating businesses to enjoy the classic sights, sounds and smells of the season from hot cocoa and candy canes, to crafts, pop up shops and, of course, Santa himself!
Participating businesses and activities:
- Coppell Arts Center - Indoor craft
- Jacaranda - Letters to Santa
- Tattered Style - Pop up shops and a special Christmas treat
- Coppell Farmers Market - Square dance performance, grocery donation booth for Metrocrest Services, craft booth with Createria Studio, and ornament sales benefiting Coppell Assistance League
- Life Safety Park - Holiday Hazard House
- GEORGE Coffee + Provisions - Free kid's hot cocoa with design your own cups
- Tangerine Salon - Pop up market with a variety of vendors
- Let It Shine - Pictures with Santa
- Local Diner - Sweet treats
- Heritage Park - Pick up a candy cane and visit with Mr. and Mrs. Claus
Holiday Parade and Tree Lighting
Saturday, December 2 | 6 - 9 p.m.
Join us at Coppell's annual kick-off to the holiday season! The lighted parade features beautifully decorated floats built by local groups and businesses, all with twinkling holiday lights! Watch for the top 3 “Best Decorated” floats and pick your favorites as the floats go by. The parade will travel north on Samuel Blvd. to Parkway Blvd., then west to Andrew Brown Park East.
Watch the Lighted Holiday Parade!
The lighted parade features beautifully decorated floats built by local groups and businesses, all with twinkling holiday lights! Find a spot along the parade route and watch for the top 3 “Best Decorated” floats and pick your favorites as the floats go by.
Attend the Annual Holiday Tree Lighting
After the parade, head to Andrew Brown Park East for more holiday fun. The crowd will countdown to the lighting of the 65ft tree.
Enjoy festive holiday activities including:
- Santa Photos (please bring your own camera)
- Holiday Crafts
- Teddy Bear Making (fees apply)
- Face Painting
- Holiday Entertainment
- Letters to Santa
- A showing of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" on the big screen
- Holiday treats including hot chocolate, popcorn, roasted nuts, fudge, cider and coffees (fees apply)
- Ornament Decorating
- Food Trucks
Shop local this holiday season!
As the holiday shopping season reaches its peak, the City of Coppell is encouraging residents to support local businesses through the Twelve Days of Coppell holiday shopping campaign!
How it works:
Pick up a playing card at City facilities. Each card contains a total of 15 clues that will lead participants to a variety of local stores, restaurants, and boutiques. Participants should solve the clues and take the action described. Once at least 12 clues have been solved, bring your receipts/proof of action to the Coppell Town Center Annex, 265 Parkway Blvd., or submit them via email to be entered into a drawing for a prize!
To learn more about the businesses in Coppell, visit the Buy in Coppell page, or call 972-304-3678.
Biodiversity Education Center | 367 Freeport Pkwy.
EcoExplorer - Ugly Christmas Sweaters
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, December 13 - 22 | 9 am - Noon
Pet the "ugly" sweaters of mammals found in North Texas and within the Coppell Nature Park. Learn about these animals through their pelts.
Drop in during visiting hours to learn about the Biodiversity Education Center, Coppell Nature Park, and the seasonal programs offered. While you're here, learn about the local environment through self-guided activities and interactive resources. Then, take what you learn out on the trails to become true EcoExplorers!
Wild By Nature – Winter Birds
December 21 | 1 pm | Biodiversity Education Center
Celebrate the first day of winter by learning how birds survive the winter season! Fly down to the BEC to discover the unique characteristics and adaptations of birds, migration challenges, and how YOU can help! Meet some winter bird residents as you explore the trails of Coppell Nature Park and make a bird feeder to take home!
This program is designed for families and youth ages 3-14. Drop in during open hours to explore interactive learning stations inside the Biodiversity Education Center or on the trails of Coppell Nature Park. Please arrive with enough time to complete activities before the close time. This program is FREE of charge and registration is not required. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Christmas Bird Count Hike
December 26 | 7 am & 5 pm | Biodiversity Education Center
Join the BEC to participate in the Audubon Christmas Bird Count with a hike! Each year, Audubon hosts a Christmas Bird Count which promotes counting birds instead of hunting them and using those numbers for scientific analyses, publications and government reports. Audubon looks for areas who want to participate to host an area to count birds in.
No registration is required, but space is limited. Visit the National Audubon Society for more information on this event.
EcoExplorer - Winter Birds
December 27 & 29; January 3, 5 & 7 | 9 am - Noon
Explore the different birds that call Coppell Nature Park home in the winter months. Drop in during visiting hours to learn about the Biodiversity Education Center, Coppell Nature Park, and the seasonal programs offered. While you're here, learn about the local environment through self-guided activities and interactive resources. Then, take what you learn out on the trails to become true EcoExplorers!
Coppell Arts Center | 505 Travis St.
Theatre Coppell Presents: A Little House Christmas
Friday, December 2 - Sunday, December 18 | Fridays and Saturdays 8 pm & Sundays 2:30 pm
The Ingalls family is warm and happy in their little house by Plum Creek, just outside the town of Walnut Grove. School starts and the children eagerly learn their A-B-C’s until it’s time for the Christmas holidays, and everyone is keeping secrets about the presents they have to give. All the characters are there: Laura, Mary, Carrie, Ma, Pa, Mr. and Mrs. Oleson, and Nellie, and there are surprises all around on Christmas Day that remind us that love is the greatest gift of all. Directed by Peggy Rosson. Tickets are $22 for adults and $19 for students and seniors.
Paint & Sip with Createria Studios
Thursday, December 8 | 6 pm
Who could use a night out with friends right now? Paint & Sips are a fun way to create memories and masterpieces. Please bring your friends or significant other to wine up and then wind down during this two-hour holiday themed painting class. Tickets are $30 per person.
The Coppell Community Chorale Presents: Tidings and Tinsel
Saturday, December 10 | 5 pm
Come celebrate the holidays and sing along with the Coppell Community Chorale featuring the Coppell Children’s Chorus. It’s fun for the whole family! Tickets are $10.
The Coppell Community Orchestra Presents: A Cartoon Christmas
Sunday, December 11 | 3 pm
Tis the season for Christmas & Cartoons! Come spend a fun filled afternoon with Coppell Community Orchestra as we celebrate the winter season and timeless holiday cartoon favorites! Tickets are $5 for adults and $1 for children and students.
A Merry Cirque
Thursday, December 15 – Sunday, December 18 | Thursday, Friday, Saturday 7:30 pm; Saturday & Sunday, 2 pm
Let the holidays begin in awe with, A Merry Cirque, presented by Lone Star Circus. Audiences will be on the edge of their seats enjoying thrilling daredevils, electrifying jugglers, mesmerizing acrobats, and hilarious clowns! It’s a holiday show packaged for the whole family to enjoy! Tickets are $35.
Tickets are available for purchase online or at the Coppell Arts Center box office, 505 Travis St.
Cozby Library and Community Commons | 177 N. Heartz Rd.
Wednesday, December 7 | 10:15 - 10:45 am
Join Santa for storytime! He’s read books, we’ll sing songs and you can get your picture taken with Santa! Don’t forget your camera! All ages are welcome.
Holiday Craft Fair
Saturday, December 10 & Sunday, December 11 | 1 - 4 pm
Crafters from the Senior Center will have a variety of items available for purchase such as jewelry, knitted and crocheted items, tote bags, greeting cards, and ornaments. Cash is strongly encouraged as some vendors do not accept credit cards. Pick up a holiday gift for yourself or someone else!
Holiday Family Fun Night
Tuesday, December 13 | 6:30 - 7:30 pm
Welcome aboard the Polar Express! Join us on a magical adventure to the North Pole. We’ll read The Polar Express on our “train ride.” Once we reach the North Pole, we’ll enjoy cookies, hot cocoa, and crafts. Festive pajamas are encouraged. This program is designed for families with young children. All ages are welcome.
Teen Craft: Ugly Holiday Sweater
Wednesday, December 14 | 4 - 6 pm | Cozby Library and Community Commons
Come get creative with friends by making your own ugly holiday sweater! This is a come and go event where all you will need to bring is a sweater/shirt/hoodie or whatever you would feel most festive in. This event is open to grades 6 - 12 and will last until supplies run out. Provided supplies include: paint, buttons, glitter, and anything else you may need to decorate your ugly sweater.
Interactive Elf Movie
Wednesday, December 21 | 2 pm | Cozby Library and Community Commons
Bring your little elves to watch Elf at the library. Indulge in Elf’s four food groups, and play our interactive Elf game to win prizes.
Noon Year’s Eve
Saturday, December 31 | 11:30 am - 12:15 pm
Can’t stay up until midnight? Ring in the New Year with an early celebration! We’ll have a dance party and count down to noon.