Quarantine means placing the animal in a facility that provides:
- Absolute security (no escape possible),
- Isolation (no contact with other animals or persons), and
- Observation twice daily by a qualified person.
Quarantine must be done in one of the following facilities:
- Animal shelter with quarantine facilities licensed by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS)
- Veterinary clinic operated by a licensed veterinarian, or
- Owners home facility, if approved by the Local Rabies Control Authority (LRCA) or designee.
The LRCA is responsible for the proper handling and observation of all animals being quarantined.
- The owner of the biting animal is required by state law to pay the cost of the quarantine.